Yield: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup (50g) raisins
- 1/3 cup (35g) vermicelli, roughly broken
- 2 Tbsp (28g) ghee or unsalted butter
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 cups (454g) whole milk
- 2 tsp Bird’s Custard Powder
- ½ cup (156g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup (45g) pistachios and/or almonds, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, submerge raisins in water, allowing to soak while you prepare custard.
- In a medium pot, fry broken vermicelli in ghee on medium, stirring occasionally. After a couple minutes, add turmeric and cardamom. Stir and cook for a moment more until noodles are golden and spiced.
- Transfer vermicelli to a bowl to stop the frying process. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so. (This will keep you from scalding your milk. Or, if you like doing dishes, go ahead and get out a new pot.)
- Pour milk into pot, then added browned noodles. Heat over medium, bringing mixture to a gentle simmer. Stirring occasionally, allow to simmer for 13–15 minutes until vermicelli are soft and cooked.
- In a small bowl, whisk together custard powder and a couple tablespoons of hot milk. Stir into main milk mixture, along with sweetened condensed milk.
- Stirring frequently, cook for another 5 minutes until properly thickened. Remove from heat.
NOTE: If custard gets too thick, work in a little more milk.
- Drain raisins. Set aside a few raisins and a few chopped nuts for topping. Fold remaining raisins and nuts into custard.
- Serve hot or cold. Top portions with reserved raisins and chopped nuts before serving.
NOTE: If you are planning on serving later, pour custard into another bowl. Immediately press cling film directly onto surface. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to fridge.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply