Yield: 10 servings (one 9" cake)
- 3 cups (360g) rhubarb, chopped into ½" (1cm) pieces (about 4 large stalks)
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp (235g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (167g) strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 ¼ cups (270g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (114g) plain yoghurt
- ½ cup (114g) whole milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp (71g) unsalted butter
- 5 Tbsp (62g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (86g) almonds, finely chopped or sliced
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 360°F. Wrap a 9" springform pan tightly with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Grease inside of pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together chopped rhubarb and 3 Tbsp (37g) granulated sugar; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with cornstarch; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining 1 cup (198g) sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- In another medium bowl, mix together yoghurt, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Starting and ending with the flour mixture, add dry ingredients and wet ingredients to butter mixture alternately. With mixer on low speed, mix until combined, being careful not to overmix. Scrape down bowl as necessary after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spread into an even layer. Evenly distribute rhubarb and strawberries across top, lightly pressing fruit into batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Roughly 20–25 minutes into the bake, prepare the almond topping. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and dissolve sugar. Mix in chopped almonds. Once mixture has started to slightly darken, remove from heat.
NOTE: This mixture goes from perfect to burnt rather quickly, so keep a close eye on it!
- After the cake has baked for 30 minutes, pull it out of oven and evenly pour almond mixture on top. Put cake back into the oven and bake for an additional 25–30 minutes. Cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove sides of springform pan. Allow cake to cool completely before serving.
- Prior to serving, feel free to give the top a dusting of confectioners’ sugar. For an extra special dessert, serve with homemade whipped cream or ice cream.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply