Yield: One 9" x 5" loaf
- 1 ½ cups carrots, peeled & shredded (3–4 medium carrots)
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Verdant Kitchen Crystallized Ginger, chopped*
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- optional: chia gel (Mix 2 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill organic chia seeds with 4 Tbsp water. Let sit for 10 minutes.)
*You could also use The Chai Box Candied Ginger from our Garden Party box. No chopping necessary!
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, toss shredded carrots with lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, and cinnamon.
- Place carrot mixture into a clean dish towel. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. After pressing, the carrot mixture will have turned into a wad o’carrots, so return mixture to bowl and gently break it up with your hands.
- Add applesauce, Greek yoghurt, melted butter, eggs, and (optional) chia gel. Stir with spatula until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in crystallized ginger, raisins, and walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 40–50 additional minutes. Bread is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out dry.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before turning out of pan onto wire rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.