Yield: 12 buns
- 1 cup (241g) unsweetened coconut milk, lukewarm (110–115°F)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup (99g) + ¼ tsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 6 Tbsp (85g) unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- 4 cups (480g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Occo Colombian Coconut Buns Seasoning Card*
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
- ½ cup (27g) unsweetened, shredded coconut
*This seasoning card includes 1 teaspoon each of caraway powder, fennel powder, coriander powder, and California garlic powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix together lukewarm coconut milk, yeast, and ¼ teaspoon sugar. Mix well and leave undisturbed for 5–10 minutes until the mixture gets foamy.
- Gently whisk in egg and melted butter.
- In your mixer bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup (99g) sugar, flour, salt, and spices.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Attach dough hook, then mix on low until the dough starts to come together, about 3 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and knead dough until it’s smooth and soft, 8–10 minutes.
- Tip dough out onto a clean work surface and form into a ball. Lightly grease inside of your mixer bowl with coconut oil (or neutral oil). Place dough back into bowl and roll around to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl with beeswax wrap or cling film and place in a warm, dry spot and leave undisturbed until dough has doubled in bulk, 1 hour to 1 ½ hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release excess gas build-up. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide dough into 12 equal pieces.
NOTE: We recommend weighing your dough—instead of eyeballing it—so that you can create truly equal rolls.
- Form dough pieces into rolls. (If this is your first time making rolls, we highly recommend watching Certified Master Baker Jeffrey Hamelman’s technique.)
- Place rolls on prepared baking sheet (seams side down), keeping ‘em evenly spaced apart.
- Cover rolls with cling film and allow to rise in a warm place until visibly puffy, roughly 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly brush rolls with egg wash. Sprinkle tops with shredded coconut.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply