Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- zest of 1 large orange
- ½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (57g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ½ cup (99g) olive oil
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110g) Beautiful Briny Sea Orange Chili Sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Combine orange zest and granulated sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Using your fingers, rub together until sugar turns yellowy-orange and you smell that citrusy goodness.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, olive oil, and butter, then attach paddle. Beat until combined.
- Add egg and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Add half of flour mixture, mix until mostly combined. Scrape down bowl. Add remaining flour mixture, then mix until combined.
- Cover mixer bowl with beeswax wrap or bowl cover, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (We chilled our dough overnight; you want it to be stiff enough to form dough balls.)
- Once the dough is properly chilled, heat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Pour orange chili sugar into a small bowl.
- Form dough into balls that are about 1 ½ tablespoons each. (A #40 cookie scoop is super helpful here.) Roll dough balls in orange chili sugar before placing on prepared baking sheets.
NOTE: If your dough starts to get too warm and sticky, put it back in the fridge for a little while. When our first dozen cookies were in the oven, we put the remaining cookie dough back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake 12–15 minutes or until edges are set and barely golden.
- Transfer baking sheet to wire rack. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply