Yield: 12 muffins + ½ cup hot honey butter
Hot Honey Butter:
- ½ cup (113g) salted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp (44g) Red Clay Spicy Peach Honey
- 2 cups (280g) yellow cornmeal, divided*
- 1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups (285g) whole milk
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- 3 Tbsp (35g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream, room temp
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- Red Clay Spicy Peach Honey
*You can also use yellow polenta. We used Moretti fioretto (fine yellow polenta) since we already had some on hand.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Grease muffin wells or line with baking cups; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix softened butter and honey. Store in fridge until 20–30 minutes before serving muffins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups (210g) cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large, heatproof bowl, whisk together remaining ½ cup (70g) cornmeal and milk. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes, then whisk. Continue zapping in 30-second increments, whisking after each time, until mixture is thick and batter-esque (1–3 minutes more).
- Whisk in melted butter, followed by sugar, then sour cream until thoroughly combined. If mixture is still too hot to add eggs, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs.
- Fold in dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Divide batter evenly amongst muffins wells. (This 2-ounce #16 disher is the perfect tool for this!)
- Bake for 13–15 minutes, rotating pan halfway through bake time. Muffins are done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes, then remove and transfer to wire rack to cool a smidge more.
- Serve warm with hot honey butter and additional spicy peach honey.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply