Yield: 25 small cheese pies
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- ¼ cup (57g) water, lukewarm (110–115°F)
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 2 to 2 ¾ cups (240g to 330g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (114g) plain Greek yoghurt, room temperature
- ½ cup (100g) extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces (227g) feta cheese, crumbled small
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp Alchemy Spice Company Greek Blend
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together yeast, lukewarm water, and sugar. Leave undisturbed for about 10 minutes until the mixture gets foamy.
- In your mixer bowl, whisk together 2 cups (240g) flour and salt.
- Add foamy yeast mixture, Greek yoghurt, and olive oil. Attach dough hook, then mix on low until the dough starts to come together, 2–3 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and knead dough for about 10 minutes.
- Check your dough. If it seems a little wet, add more flour, a tablespoon or two at a time with your mixer running on low. (On the very humid Atlanta summer afternoon that we baked these, we added 10 more Tbsp (75g) of flour.)
- Again increase speed to medium and knead dough for 10–15 minutes more. The dough will still be a little shaggy when you’re done kneading.
- Tip dough out onto a clean work surface and form into a ball. Grease inside of your mixer bowl with olive oil. Place dough back into bowl and roll around to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl with beeswax wrap or cling film and place in a warm, dry spot and leave undisturbed until dough has doubled in bulk, roughly 60 minutes.
- While your dough is proofing, make the filling. In a medium bowl, mix together all filling ingredients until well blended. Store in fridge until you’re ready to form your pies.
- Towards the end of the dough’s rising time, heat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release excess gas build-up. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide dough into 25 equal pieces (about 24g each).
- Take one dough ball and roll out into a 3-inch circle. Place ½ tablespoon of feta filling on one half of circle. Lightly dip your finger in some water and gently wet the edge of the filling side of the dough. (This will help seal your pie.)
- Fold over other half of dough circle and gently press edges together to seal. Crimp edges with a fork.
- Place on baking sheet, then repeat steps for create 24 more pies.
- Brush all cheese pies with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer pies to a wire rack to cool somewhat. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply