Yield: one 9" x 5" loaf
- 1 ½ cups (170g) white whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 ¾ cups (210g) bread flour, divided
- 2 Tbsp (25g) granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (57g) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (57g) water
- 1 large egg, room temperature
Garlic & Greek Blend Butter:
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3–4 cloves New Dawn Fields Organic Garlic, minced*
- 1 ½ Tbsp Alchemy Spice Company Greek Blend
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Flake Sea Salt
*We used 4 cloves of Purple Glazer, but feel free to use whichever New Dawn Fields garlic variety (or varieties) you like. Adjust the number of cloves based on the spiciness of your chosen variety, as well as your taste preference.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, whisk by hand ¾ cup (85g) white whole wheat flour, 7/8 cup (105g) bread flour, granulated sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a small pot over medium heat, warm the sour cream, butter, and water until your instant-read thermometer reads between 120°F and 130°F. (If your dairy mixture gets too hot, remove the pot from heat and allow to cool to 120–130°F.) Pour mixture into a heatproof vessel with a spout.
- Attach paddle to your stand mixer. With mixer on medium, slowly pour warm dairy mixture into flour mixture, beating until combined. Add egg, beating on medium until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add remaining ¾ cup (85g) white whole wheat flour and 7/8 cup (105g) bread flour, stopping to scrap down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat until flour has been thoroughly incorporated.
- Form dough into a ball and place into a well-oiled bowl. Roll dough around in bowl to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl with beeswax wrap or cling film and place in a warm, dry spot and leave undisturbed until dough has doubled in bulk, 45–60 minutes.
- Towards the end of the dough’s first proof, in a small bowl, stir together all garlic & Greek blend butter ingredients.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release excess gas build-up.
- Divide dough into 36 pieces (22g each). Roll each piece into a wee ball, dip into butter mixture, then place in your 9" x 5" loaf pan. (In your pan, you should end up with 2 layers of 18 balls each.)
NOTES: A kitchen scale makes this step heaps easier! We recommend covering your dough with a clean kitchen dough while you divide, weigh, roll, dip, and place one dough ball at a time. This will keep your dough from drying out.
- Pour any remaining butter mixture over the dough in the pan. Cover pan and allow to rise until visibly puffy, 15–20 minutes.
- At the start of your dough’s second proof, place a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack to catch any butter drips. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Once loaf has had its second proof, sprinkle some flake sea salt on top.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or until golden brown. (Internal temperature should be around 190°F.)
- Place loaf pan on wire rack and allow to cool for 10–15 minutes. Tip loaf out of pan and sprinkle with additional sea salt, if desired. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply