Yield: 3 dozen macaroons
- 4 ½ ounces (130g) Odense Marzipan
- 2 1/3 cups (200g) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ¾ cups (200g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Küchle 50mm Back Oblaten (German Baking Wafers)
- At least an hour before you plan on making your macaroons, put marzipan in the freezer.
- After marzipan is cold and hard, grate on box grater using the side with large holes.
- In a medium pot over low heat, combine grated marzipan, shredded coconut, confectioners’ sugar, egg whites, almond extract, and salt. Gently stir until marzipan melts and mixture looks glue-esque.
NOTE: The mixture should be warm, NOT hot. It should only reach around 120–125°F.
- Remove pot from heat and allow to cool and thicken for 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place back oblaten (baking wafers) on baking sheets. Using a small cookie scoop, place a mound of macaroon batter on each wafer.
- Bake 15–20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time. When done, macaroons should be lightly golden.
- While macaroons are still hot, gently push edges with a wet spoon to make ‘em more perfectly round, if desired.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 or so minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.