Yield: 12 servings
- 1 4.5-oz can (1 cup or 125g) Hamakua Unsalted Macadamia Nuts
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp (55g) granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp (55g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp (4oz or 113g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 Tbsp milk, cold
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 13.5-oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (215g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup (70g) cornstarch
- ⅞ cup (130g) Nói Síríus 56% Bittersweet Chocolate
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Spread out macadamia nuts on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until light golden, around 5 minutes. Let cool completely. (If you’re impatient like us, spread the macadamias out on a plate, then stick ‘em in the fridge.)
- Grease a 9" springform pan.
- Place macadamias in food processor. Add flour, sugars, and salt. Pulse until you achieve a fine meal.
- With food processor running, drop butter cubes in one at a time. Once all butter has been added, run food processor for 1 additional minute.
- Add milk and vanilla, then pulse for 1 minute more.
- Press mixture into bottom of springform pan. Bake 25–35 minutes.
- Cool crust completely.
- To make the filling, in a medium pot, add milks and sugar; whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornstarch and water until smooth.
NOTE: We recommend that you leave the whisk in the bowl, as you will probably need give this mixture another quick whisk before pouring into pot in next step.
- Place pot with milks/sugar mixture on burner turned to medium. Stir mixture constantly. After it comes to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer. Then SLOWLY pour in cornstarch mixture while whisking constantly. Continue whisking for three minutes until coconut pudding mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring as necessary, until chocolate is thoroughly melted and smooth.
- Divide coconut pudding mixture into two equal portions (roughly 555g each).
- Pour melted chocolate into one of the puddings. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour plain coconut pudding over crust, smoothing the surface with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Place springform pan in fridge.
- Let chocolate pudding cool for 5–10 minutes. (If it thickens a bit too much, whisk it a bit before continuing.)
- Pull springform pan out of fridge, then pour chocolate pudding over coconut pudding, smoothing top.
- Refrigerate pie for at least 2 hours before serving.
NOTE: You can serve the pie with whipped cream and toasted coconut, but we think it’s plenty decadent as-is!
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply