Yield: 16 scones
- ¼ cup (22g) sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (110g) Chukar Montmorency Tart Cherries
- 2 ½ cups (300g) + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ¾ cup (180g) sour cream, cold
- 1 large egg, cold
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill organic chia seeds, optional
- Place topping ingredients in small bowl. Mix well, then set aside.
- Cherries might be a little stuck together, so gently separate them by hand. Toss with 1 Tbsp of flour; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 ½ cups (300g) flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Put this bowl in fridge.
- In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, egg, and almond extract until smooth. Pull flour mixture bowl out of fridge, then stir wet mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Gently stir in cherries and (optional) chia seeds.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 8–10 times until smooth, adding a little bit of flour, if necessary.
- Divide dough in half; shape each half into a 7-inch circle. Using a lightly floured knife or bench scraper, cut each circle into 8 scones.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. With lightly floured hands, separate scones and place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle scones with topping, gently patting down almonds, if necessary. Place baking sheet in fridge to keep dough cold while oven warms up.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 30 minutes or until scones are lightly browned.
- Enjoy scones warm or transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.