Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup Verdant Kitchen Crystallized Ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, crystallized ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, applesauce, vegetable oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in centre of dry mixture. Pour wet mixture into well, stirring just until moist.
- Cover bowl and chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Form dough into balls that are about 2 tablespoons each. (A medium cookie scoop is super helpful here.) Roll balls in bowl filled with ¼ cup granulated sugar.
- Place on baking sheets, leaving 2" between each dough ball.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute on baking sheets. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.