Yield: one 9" x 5" loaf (8–10 servings)
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored, & shredded (about 2 cups or 226g)
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (66g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (114g) pecans, chopped
- ¾ cup (85g) shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Peel, core, and shred apple. Squeeze shreds a little to remove a smidge of the juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until thoroughly combined. Mix in salt.
- Add flour mixture; mix again on low just until incorporated.
- Fold in apples, pecans, and ½ cup shredded cheddar. Spread batter into pan, smoothing top with a spatula or the back of a spoon. (Batter will be relatively thick.)
- Sprinkle ¼ cup shredded cheddar on top.
- Bake for 55–60 minutes. Bread is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Allow bread to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.