Yield: 32-ish bars, depending on how you cut ‘em
- 2 cups (270g) almonds
- 1 ⅓ cups (270g) granulated sugar
- 2 ¾ tsp baking powder
- 4 egg whites*
- 12 Tbsp (167g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp (135g) confectioners’ sugar
- 4 egg yolks*
- 2 ¾ tsp Valrhona (or other Dutch-process) cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g or 1 ½ bars) Nói Síríus 56% Bittersweet Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
*Since there’s a bit of waiting time between making the almond bottom and making the filling, after separating the eggs, gently place egg yolks in a small container filled with water, cover, and keep in fridge. This keeps the egg yolks from drying out before you make the filling.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper.
- To make the almond bottom, pulse almonds in food processor until they are finely ground.
- Add granulated sugar and baking powder to food processor. Grind again for 3 minutes until mixture is very finely ground, pausing as necessary to scrape down bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium-low for about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2–3 minutes more until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold almond/sugar mixture into egg whites one third at a time.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake 20 minutes until puffed up with a thin, crispy top. (Almond layer will flatten some as it cools.)
- Cool almond layer completely, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before adding chocolate filling layer.
- To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, roughly 3 minutes. Scrape down bowl.
- Add egg yolks and mix. Scrape down bowl again. Add cocoa powder and vanilla; mix until well incorporated.
- Spread filling evenly over almond bottom. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To make ganache, melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second increments until it’s mostly melted. Add butter, then put in microwave for 20 seconds more. Stir until chocolate and butter are thoroughly melted.
- Spread ganache evenly over chocolate filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into 32 bars. Store in refrigerator.