Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup (200g) Lars Own Scandinavian Style Porridge Rice
- 1 ¼ cups (284g) water
- 4 ¼ cups (965g) whole milk
- 1 ⅓ cups (150g) blanched almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 whole blanched almond
- 2 cups (454g) heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ¾ cups (415 ml) liquid reserved from jar(s) of cherries*
- 8 or 9 ounces (250g) cocktail cherries**
- sliced almonds
*If your cherry jars don’t have quite enough liquid, add water until you have 1 ¾ cups total.
**We used 2 jars of Collins Brothers Bordeaux Stemmed Cherries.
- Start by making the risengrød (rice porridge). In a large pot over medium-high heat, mix together porridge rice and water. Bring to a boil and let boil while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Mix in milk and once again bring to a boil while stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and put a lid on your pot. Let mixture simmer for 35–40 minutes, stirring regularly so that milk doesn’t scorch and stick to bottom of pot.
- Once mixture is thick and rice has absorbed the milk, remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperate, then place covered pot in fridge overnight.
- The next day, it’s time to turn your risengrød into risalamande! Place metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 15 minutes.
- If porridge seems especially thick, stir in some milk to loosen it up a smidge.
- Add chopped almonds, sugar, vanilla paste, salt, and one whole almond. Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly.
NOTE: We prefer vanilla paste to vanilla extract here because it’s easier to see when vanilla paste is mixed throughout the porridge.
- In the chilly bowl of a stand mixer fitted with cold whisk attachment, whip heavy cream until soft peaks begin to form. Fold whipped cream into porridge one-third at a time.
- Cover risalamande and place in fridge until serving.
- Now let’s make kirsebærsauce (cherry sauce)! In a small bowl, make a slurry with cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of liquid reserved from jar(s) of cherries. Set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, combine remaining cherry liquid and cherries.
NOTE: If your cherries aren’t sweetened, you may wish to add 2–3 Tbsp of granulated sugar as well.
- Simmer until liquid starts to thicken slightly, then add cornstarch/cherry slurry. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 6–8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve risalamande with warm kirsebærsauce. Top with sliced almonds, if you like.
- Whoever finds the whole almond wins a prize, such as a marzipan pig!
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply