Yield: about 6 dozen 2-inch crackers
- 2 ¾ cups (330g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Occo Colombian Coconut Buns Seasoning Card*
- ¾ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp (85g) unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 2 Tbsp (25g) neutral oil (such as canola)
- 2/3 cup (150g) water**
Egg Wash + Topping:
- 1 egg, beaten
- flaky sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp (28g) unsalted butter, melted
*This seasoning card includes 1 teaspoon each of California garlic powder, caraway powder, coriander powder, and fennel powder.
**You may not need all the water.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 or 3 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar, Occo seasonings, and salt in the bowl of food processor. Blitz once to combine.
- Add a third of butter cubes; pulse to combine. Repeat twice more with remaining butter.
- With food processor running, slowly pour in oil. If necessary, after all oil had been added, stop processor, scrape down bowl, then blitz once more to fully incorporate the oil.
- With food processor running, slowly pour in water. Stop adding water once dough forms into a ball. (You may have leftover water. If so, give it to a plant!)
- Flour work surface and rolling pin. Place dough onto work surface and dust the top of dough blob with flour. Roll dough out as thin as you can (1/8" or less). So that the dough doesn’t stick while rolling, flour dough, work surface, or pin again as necessary.
- Use a pastry wheel, biscuit cutter, or cookie cutter to cut out crackers. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. (They can be relatively close together.) Combine any leftover dough, reroll, and cut until all dough is used.
NOTE: We used the fluted side of this pastry wheel to cut our 2" crackers.
- Dock all crackers (prick several times with the tines of a fork).
- In a small bowl, whisk egg. Brush first batch of crackers, then sprinkle ‘em with flaky sea salt or kosher salt.
- Bake for 9–12 minutes until edges are lightly golden.
NOTE: Keep a close eye on your crackers. Since they’re so thin, they can go from perfect to slightly burnt in a flash.
- While crackers are baking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave.
- As soon as crackers come out of the oven, brush them with melted butter. Place baking sheet with hot crackers on wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat steps 9–12 for remaining batch(es) of crackers.
- Allow all crackers to cool completely