Yield: 10 servings (one 8" cake)
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (45g) The Chai Box All Chai’d Up Tea Blend
- ¾ cup (160g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (227g) buttermilk*
*If you don’t have buttermilk, mix ½ cup + 7 Tbsp (213g) whole milk with 1 Tbsp white vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes.
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add chai blend and simmer 1–2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, then cover and allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Pour steeped butter through sieve. Discard chai blend.
- Place infused butter in fridge for 35–45 minutes so it can firm up. You want the butter to have the consistency of softened butter before making your cake batter.
- While your butter is chilling, heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" (20cm) round cake pan; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat softened chai butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Starting and ending with the flour mixture, add dry ingredients and buttermilk to butter mixture alternately. With mixer on low speed, mix until combined, being careful not to overmix. Scrape down bowl as necessary after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan, smoothing the surface with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40–50 minutes. The cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- If you like, dust cake with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Did you try this recipe? Tag @fikabrodbox or #fikabrödbox!
Leave a Reply