Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (156g) yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups (355ml) buttermilk*
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 2 Tbsp (28g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (140g) TBJ Gourmet Spiced Tomato Jam
*If you don't have buttermilk, mix 1 cup + 6 Tbsp (325ml) whole milk with 2 Tbsp white vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F with rack in the middle.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the centre, then add buttermilk and eggs. Mix together until combined, then add slightly cooled melted butter. Mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- In a 9" cast iron skillet, melt other 2 tablespoons of butter on the stove over medium heat.
- Pour batter into hot skillet. (The batter should sizzle.) Smooth out top as necessary. Dot the surface with dollops of tomato jam and lightly swirl into batter with a knife.
- Cook batter on stovetop for 1 minute, then transfer to oven. Bake for 20–25 minutes until edges are crispy and a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Move skillet to a wire rack and allow cornbread to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.