Yield: 2 ½ dozen cookies
- ½ tsp Divine Healing saffron threads
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp whole milk, warm
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup (57g) full-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 ¼ cups (248g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups (225g) rainbow jimmies
- Place saffron threads and salt in a mortar, then grind with a pestle. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and pour warm milk over the saffron and salt. Let infuse for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the large bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, and baking soda a few times to thoroughly blend.
- Add butter, cream cheese, sugar, and orange zest, then blitz until mixture is sandy and powdery.
- Add egg and saffron mixture, pulsing until dough comes together. Stop and scrape down bowl as necessary.
- Pour rainbow jimmies into a medium bowl. Wrap base of a flat-bottomed glass with cling film.
- Form dough into balls that are about 1 ½ tablespoons each. (A cookie scoop is super helpful here.) Roll them in your palms just to warm ‘em up a smidge and make ‘em a little tacky, then drop into bowl ‘o sprinkles, rolling around to coat evenly.
- Place on baking sheet, leaving 2" between each dough ball.
- Using the cling film-wrapped glass, gently press down on each cookie to flatten to about ¼" to ½" tall.
- Bake for 9–10 minutes or until edges are set and bottoms are lightly browned. Remove cookies from oven and cool on pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.