Yield: 12 muffins
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- pinch of black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all spices. Set aside.
Pepita Praline Crunch
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) Karmalize.Me Raw Organic Pepitas
- 2 Tbsp (26g) dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add pepitas and, stirring occasionally, cook for a couple of minutes until toasted.
- Add 1 tablespoon (13g) brown sugar and cook for another 1–2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon (13g) brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice until all pepitas are coated.
- Spread pepita praline crunch out on parchment paper to cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 ounces (170g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp (37g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl with a handheld mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
- Transfer filling to a pastry bag fitted with a medium, round piping tip. Set aside.
- 1 ½ cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup (99g) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (132g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (244g) pure canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup (57g) whole milk, room temp
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin wells or line with baking cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and remaining pumpkin pie spice (about 1 tablespoon).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, pumpkin, milk, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- In the centre of dry mixture, make a well, then pour in wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly amongst 12 wells. (This 2-ounce disher is super helpful for portioning batter.)
- Retrieve the cream cheese filling. With the piping bag vertical, stick the piping tip barely into the surface of the batter. Pipe about a tablespoon of filling into centre of each muffin.
- With your hands, break up pepita praline crunch, if necessary. Sprinkle onto muffin batter around the cream cheese filling.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes. Muffins are done when a wooden pick inserted near the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan and serve warm or place on wire rack to cool completely.