Yield: 16-ish cookie bars, depending on how you cut ‘em
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (15g) instant espresso powder*
- 2 Tbsp Spicewalla Gingerbread Spice
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (107g) dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (85g) unsulphured molasses
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50g) turbinado sugar
- ¾ tsp Spicewalla Gingerbread Spice
*We used Café Bustelo.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8" x 8" metal baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt butter. Stirring frequently, cook for 3–4 minutes until butter starts to brown and smell nutty. Once butter begins to foam, remove from heat and whisk in instant espresso powder and gingerbread spice. Pour into large mixing bowl, then set aside for 5–10 minutes.
- Add sugars, molasses, and salt, then whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Whisk until smooth, 2–3 minutes.
- Add flour and, using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Press dough into prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together turbinado sugar and gingerbread spice. Sprinkle over cookie bars.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes until edges are set. The cookie bars are done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out mostly clean. Transfer pan to wire rack and allow cookie bars to cool completely.
- Once bars are total cool, remove from pan by pulling up on parchment paper. Cut into 16 squares.