Yield: 8–10 servings (one 9" cake)
- ¾ cup (149g) granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 3 Tbsp (45g) sour cream, room temp
- ¾ cup (150g) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (70g) Eliovi Fig Balsamic Glaze
- 1 ½ cups (168g) cake flour
- 1/3 cup (32g) almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (38g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp (28g) whole milk
- 2 Tbsp (25g) Eliovi Fig Balsamic Glaze
- confectioners’ sugar
- red grapes, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 340°F. Grease and line the bottom of a 9" round cake pan with a circle of parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, rub together until sugar turns yellowy-orange and you smell that citrusy goodness.
- Add eggs. Whisk for a couple minutes until mixture is smooth and pale yellow in colour.
- Add sour cream, olive oil, and fig balsamic glaze. Using a silicone spatula, mix until combined.
- In two rounds, sift cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into wet ingredients. Using a silicone spatula, gently fold dry ingredients into egg mixture. You want to disperse and incorporate all hidden flour pockets without overmixing the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Cake is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Allow cake to cool for 10–15 minutes before removing from pan and transferring to a wire rack. Let cake cool completely.
- Once your cake is totally cool, make balsamic drizzle. In a small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and fig balsamic glaze until smooth.
- Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar. Pour or spread balsamic drizzle over cake. Top with thinly sliced red grapes.