Yield: 8 biscuits
- ¾ cup (170g) buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Burlap & Barrel Royal Cinnamon
- ¼ cup (53g) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, frozen & shredded
- 1 medium apple (or 2 small), peeled, cored, and shredded*
- ¼ cup (57g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Burlap & Barrel Royal Cinnamon
*If you don’t have buttermilk, mix ½ cup + 3 Tbsp (156g) whole milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes.
**You’re wanting about 1 cup (115g) of shredded apple. We love the super fresh Michigan apples from The Apple Truck.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix baking soda into buttermilk. Let sit for 5 minutes during which time it will expand to about a cup.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Using a grater with large holes, grate frozen butter into flour mixture, tossing to coat every so often. Then grate apple(s) into mixture, tossing to coat as well.
- In the centre, make a well, then pour in buttermilk. Mix just until dough comes together; it’ll be looking rough at this point.
- Tip your dough out onto a lightly floured surface, then work it together, taking care to not overwork it. Pat dough into a rectangle that is about 1" thick. Using a bench scraper or sharp knife, cut dough into thirds. Stack thirds, then again pat into a rectangle that is about 1" thick. Repeat one more time. Cut rectangle into 8 equal pieces. Carefully transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While biscuits are baking, melt butter. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together.
- As soon as you remove the biscuits from the oven, brush ‘em with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Enjoy immediately!