Yield: 12–15 servings
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (160g) yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups (454g) whole milk, room temp
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- 1 Tbsp Merfs Condiments Electric Lime Hot Sauce
- 2 cups (226g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3–4 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, melted butter, and hot sauce.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture, then stir until batter is mostly smooth, taking care to not overmix. Gently fold in 1 ¾ cups (198g) shredded cheddar and chopped scallions.
- Cover bowl and allow mixture to rest for 20 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Pour cornbread batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup (28g) shredded cheddar (and some chopped scallions, if you like) on top.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cornbread is done when a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean with only a few fluffy crumbs attached.
- Move pan to a wire rack and allow cornbread to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.