Yield: depends on the size of your oranges!
- 2 blood oranges, sliced thin
- 1 cup (198g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (170g) water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Line a cooling rack with wax paper; set aside.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, thinly slice 2 blood oranges.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, water, and lemon juice. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add blood orange slices and let gently simmer for 15–20 minutes. The oranges will be somewhat translucent, and the rinds should be soft but still just a smidge chewy.
- Using tongs, remove orange slices from pan and place on prepared wire rack.
NOTE: Don't forget to sieve and save the simple syrup left over when you make candied fruit! You can use this blood orange simple syrup in cocktails, brush it on cakes, etc.
- Allow orange slices to cool and rest on wire rack for a few hours or overnight.
- Eat slices straight or use ‘em to decorate bakes, such as our Blood Orange Bars with Rye Shortbread Crust.